State and Federal Fraud
Popular views of fraud typically involve intentional and deliberate acts undertaken at the financial expense of another person or organization. However, fraud charges are rarely that simple. Many cases involve misunderstandings of the law or mitigating circumstances involving personal problems or organizational/ financial issues. Moreover, even when intent has been demonstrated in a fraud case, questions can still remain and proof must still be presented.
At Synenberg, Coletta & Moran, LLC, our fraud defense lawyers are experienced in investigating and defending fraud charges, including those that occur in the health care, securities, government contract, mortgage and banking sectors.
Doctors and other professionals may face fraud charges for submitting false information, overcharging, double charging and billing for procedures or work that were not performed and/or goods that were not provided. Brokers and other individuals dealing in the buying or selling of securities may face charges of not following the extensive requirements set forth by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) or embezzlement.
Conviction for fraud can lead to costly restitution payments, fines and significant jail time. If you are facing fraud charges, contact us for effective and aggressive fraud defense.
We Deliver Results:
- Our client, a financial planner who managed funds for the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation, was charged with bribing the Chief Financial Officer of the BWC. After a two-week trial in federal court, he was found not guilty by a federal jury on all counts.
- Following a five-month securities fraud trial in Columbus, Ohio, our client, an attorney, received five- to 25-year sentence. We appealed. Our client remained out on bond pending the appeal. After 3 years of successful appeals, the case was resolved with a $100 fine. He never spent a day in jail.
- In a case that was in the national news every day for months, our client, a stockbroker, served a little over 6 years in prison after years of proven fraudulent activity that resulted in the theft of over $100 million. Our client was facing a prison sentence of at least 20 years.
- Our client, a mortgage broker, was charged with two counts of felony fraud. A well prepared and presented defense convinced the State to dismiss all charges prior to trial.
- Our client was one of 17 defendants charged in a federal mortgage fraud case. Every other defendant pled guilty. Despite the lead defendant testifying against our client at trial, a jury acquitted our client of all charges.
- Our client, a former CEO, was charged by the State with engaging in corrupt activity and multiple securities fraud violations. Prior to trial, all charges were dismissed with prejudice by the prosecutor.
If you are facing charges of mortgage, health care or bank fraud, please call us for experienced fraud defense immediately. We offer free initial consultations. We are also available for evening and weekend appointments and are conveniently located near the Federal, Cuyahoga County and Cleveland courthouses in downtown Cleveland. Contact us at 216-622-2727.